Chesterton Montessori School was started in 1983 and has been serving children in the community ever since. In 2019, the school purchased and renovated a historic church built in the late 1800s that sits in the middle of the community. The school has recently relocated to a historic building in the heart of downtown Chesterton. This new location offers us the opportunity to expand deeper into the community in alignment with Montessori philosophy. It also allows us to utilize local resources such as the public library, parks, community gardens and more.
There are six core beliefs that sum up the Montessori Method of education.
1. Have a natural desire to learn.
2. Learn through purposeful activity.
3. Have “absorbent” minds and learn everything they are given.
4. Pass through “sensitive periods” or times when learning comes more easily.
5. Educate themselves through freedom of choice.
6. Become independent, active learners when given a prepared environment.